• | 6:15 pm

Films are best viewed in theatres, moviegoers say in survey

About 90% of respondents in the survey, 'The CineFiles,' indicate cinema as their top out-of-home activity

Films are best viewed in theatres, moviegoers say in survey
[Source photo: Chetan Jha/Press Insider]

A majority of moviegoers feel films are best watched in theatres, a survey by movies and events ticketing app BookMyShow showed.

The survey, ‘The CineFiles,’ gathered data from 650 Indian cities and towns, with 90% of respondents indicating cinema as their top out-of-home activity.

With 41% of participants being Gen Z and the remaining 59% millennials and Gen X, the study underscores a cross-generational fondness for cinema.

Gen Z are digital natives born from the mid-1990s to early 2010s; millennials are tech-savvy individuals born from the early 1980s to mid-1990s; and Gen X are those born from the early 1960s to late 1970s, often seen as a bridge between older and younger generations.

Nearly two-thirds of respondents, or 63%, contemplate going to the movies every two weeks, emphasizing cinema’s cultural importance, the survey showed.

Ashish Saksena, chief operating officer at BookMyShow, said the first day-first show continues to be a significant tradition.

“The enduring love for movies over the years remains unshaken. First day, first shows continue as a sacred tradition for many fans, inspiring cheers, whistles and endless applause at the sight of beloved stars on the big screen. The resounding response to the ‘CineFiles’ survey at BookMyShow reaffirms the enduring allure of the big screen movie experience in India,” Saksena said.

About 74% of respondents plan their cinema visits at least three days ahead and pay close attention to seat selection, while 26% still prefer a spontaneous dash to the latest flick.

Storyline, reviews, and directorial prowess influence their choice of films, with 43% of respondents from Mumbai prioritizing storyline; 38% of those in Delhi prioritize reviews and ratings; while 32% in Bengaluru focus on the director.

Among GenZ respondents, 35% prefer attending the first day, first show, potentially driven by FOMO or simple enthusiasm.

Another 36% of GenZ and Millennial respondents view cinema as a stress escape. The survey captures the nuanced preferences and habits of Indian moviegoers, reaffirming that despite digital advancements, the allure of the big screen remains strong.

The study was released ahead of National Cinema Day on Friday.

In a related development several multiplex chains in India have slashed ticket prices on account of National Cinema Day on 13 October.

More Top Stories: